When you make something from scratch and you know all of the ingredients that went into making whatever it is that you made, there is a sense of relief and also satisfaction. It may be more convenient to simply purchase a ready made item at times, but your body will thank you for buying the healthy ingredients and taking the time to make something.
Something that you can make from scratch that you may have never even thought of is toothpaste. There are certain store bought toothpastes that are filled with ingredients that many consider harmful toward your overall health, so the idea of making toothpaste at home isn’t that far fetched.
“Natural Toothpaste Ingredients
- About 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2-3 Tablespoons of baking soda
- 2 small packets of stevia powder
- 15-20 drops of peppermint or cinnamon essential oil
- 10 drops myrrh extract (optional)
Natural Toothpaste Instructions
- Melt or slightly soften coconut oil.
- Mix in other ingredients and stir well. If using semi-hard coconut oil, use a fork, if not, use a spoon. If you are using completely melted coconut oil, you will need to stir several times while the mixture cools to keep the baking soda incorporated.
- Put mixture into small glass jar (I make different ones for each family member)
- Let cool completely.
- To use: dip toothbrush in and scrape small amount onto bristles. Could also use a small spoon to put on toothbrush.”
Remember that homemade toothpaste is only as good as how often it’s being used. Make sure to brush regularly and also to visit your Ottawa dentist on a regular basis.